Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Artist Formerly Half Blooded

Afer seeing a 98 rating on Rotten Tomatoes yesterday, and an 89 rating today, my expectations for this were extremely high. Maybe I'm just getting older, but 2 hours and 33 minutes for a movie is just too damned long.

The scenes with Slugworth were very slow, and had too many "Merlin's Beard"s. The major final scene was extremely anticlimactic and not well pulled off, and the lake scene where Harry and Dumbledore go to find the horcrux did not keep my attention.

There were some good points-- the scene where Harry tricks Ron into thinking he's given him Felix Felicis during a Quidditch match was excellent and thrilling. All of the death eater scenes (besides the final) were impressive, and I loved an opening flying through the city Imax style. Speaking of which, it makes no sense that the movie would open one day and not open in Imax until two weeks later.

For a film with a $150 million budget, I would give it somewhere around a B- to C+. If anyone's interested, I loved the third, fifth and second films. I hated the first one, and the fourth one was extremely mediocre, even though it was probably the best book.

No comments:

Post a Comment